Crawford County, Kansas Genealogy
Crawford County, Kansas genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to aid you trace your own Crawford Co., ancestors. Begin by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Crawford County was established on February 13, 1867 from Bourbon County and Cherokee County. The county was named in honor of Samuel J. Crawford, (1835-1913), 3rd governor of Kansas from 1865 to 1868, when he resigned to take command of the 19th Kansas Regiment.
Currently the Crawford County Seat is located in Girard and the county government website is http://www.crawfordcountykansas.org/
Places next to Crawford County are Bourbon County (north), Vernon County, Missouri (northeast), Barton County, Missouri (east), Jasper County, Missouri, Cherokee County (south), Labette County (southwest), Neosho County (west).
Cities and towns situated in Crawford County consist of Arcadia, Arma, Barber, Beulah, Brazilton, Capaldo, Cato, Cherokee, Coalvale, Cockerill, Croweburg, Curranville, Drywood, Edison, Farlington, Franklin, Frontenac, Girard, Green Bush, Gross, Heplar, McCune, Monmouth, Mulberry, Opolis, Pittsburg, Porterville, Radley, Ringo, Strauss, Walnut.
Crawford County consists of Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Crawford Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Crawford Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Crawford Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Crawford County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Crawford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Kansas Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Crawford County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the advantages of Crawford County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kansas courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kansas citizens.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few elements of their lives in the Crawford County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please call the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will assist men and women in finding the materials, but it is up to the man or women to do the basic research.
The below specifics denotes what birth, death, marriage, property, wills, and court records are in Crawford County. The years stated listed below could be the first recognized records data in this county.
- Crawford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
is located at 111 E Forest Ave, Girard, KS 66743; Phone: (620) 724-6212.
- Crawford County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1887-1912, Marriage Records from 1867 and Death Records from 1887-1911. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Crawford County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1867. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Crawford County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1870 and Court Records from 1867. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Crawford County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
- Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Kansas Historical Records
- Databases include Kansas Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Kansas Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Kansas Voter Lists & Census Records; Kansas Immigration & Emigration Records; Kansas Obituary Records; Kansas Military Records; Kansas Family Tree Records; Kansas Pictures; Kansas Stories, Memories & Histories; Kansas Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Crawford County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Crawford County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Crawford County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Crawford Co. KS Books, Newspapers & Publications
Crawford Co. KS Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Crawford Co. KS Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Crawford Co. KS Census Records
Crawford Co. KS Cemeteries & Graveyards
Crawford Co. KS Church & Bible Records
Crawford Co. KS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Crawford Co. KS General and History Websites
Crawford Co. KS Immigration & Naturalization
Crawford Co. KS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Crawford Co. KS Military Records
Crawford Co. KS Schools & Directories